Monday, June 25, 2012

Foam insulation time

(I tried hard to come up with a good, clever title for this post and even considered "Foaming at the mouth," but in spite of my punning inclination and desire, I could do no better than the prosaic title above. If someone has a better one to suggest, I'll be glad to change it.)

The insulation people got an early start today - about 7:00 I hear. So, when I arrive about 9:30, they had almost finished the attic and were starting on the first floor. Here's what the attic over our master bedroom looks like. The big duct is an air return from the loft area above the dining room.


The joists you can see through here will, of course, be covered underneath with sheetrock and above partly with plywood for attic storage. Because of the foam insulation, things stored here will not be subject to the usual extremes of summer attic heat.

The application of the foam is interesting to watch. There is a big hose attached to the nozzle, and apparently two liquids travel through it and are mixed in the nozzle, for it starts expanding immediately.


In the shot above you can see that the foam is expanding as he moves the nozzle up the space and is already almost fully expanded at the very bottom. I tried to insert a video I took with the camera, but it was taking way to long and showing no signs of finishing. I'll have to open a You Tube account and try to upload it.

In the meantime, the foam looked like some kind of white cotton candy, but I wasn't sure I should try it out with a piece I found in my office. What I'm holding in my hands is one of the pieces they use a long knife to slice off from the parts that stick out between the studs and joists, so it won't interfere with the sheetrock.


Tomorrow (Tuesday) they will finish the foam installation and also install batts of fiberglass, mainly in the basement. The foam does such a complete job of sealing up air leaks that they will have to install a one-way vent near the downstairs woodstove, order to provide air for combustion and to replace what the new dryer and the bathroom exhaust fans remove from the house. It may take a while to get used to living in an almost hermetically sealed environment.

Sheetrock comes later in the week. More then, but enough for now.  --oc

No comments:

Post a Comment